Sunday, August 22, 2010

There Are Some Great People Out There..And I Happen to Know A Lot of Them

So to follow up on my last post. During my 2 week stay at the Jersey Shore Trauma Center I did learn a few things. First that my family rocks! With everything else that they are going through, including another family member that is dealing with the after effects of surgery due to colon cancer and the need to help both her and my grandmother with their everyday lives, my Mom and Dad managed to make the 1.5 hour drive almost every night to see me. And let me tell you, I was not exactly fun to hang out with. Between the crazy headaches and not being mobile or even coherent half the time they still sat with me and entertained me for hours a day.

When my mom and dad weren't there, Nick, my boyfriend and my best friend Maida, would fill the rest of my time alone. Nick cancelled his business trip and spent 3-4 hours with me daily at the hospital at night. Maida, would then come down during the day to keep me company and to bring me the things that only girls would think of. On my 2nd day in bed Maida showed up with two stuffed animals for me to cuddle with. I have since been sleeping with my Pooh Bear and Eeyore, nightly. Even since returning home. Maida also was thoughtful enough to bring me some spray shampoo and face cleaner, after we realized that I was not going to get a shower any time in the near future.

But here are the visits that were the most interesting and most pleasant. Within 1 day of my crash, the race director from the event I crashed in managed to track me down, along with the director from the race that I was signed up for the following week in a nearby town. On my 2nd day in the trauma center the race director for the next race showed up bed side and told me that he had passed me twice after my crash and that he had to see me. A close friend of mine had then emailed him after my crash and let him know what happened and that I would not be racing the next weekend. Upon hearing from my friend and putting two and two together he realized, that the person he passed in the race was me and so here he was, at my bedside. He let me know that he would refund my race $ and that I had an outstanding invitation to race next year with him, free of charge.

Once out of the trauma center and after a few phone check calls to check in, the race director from the crash also showed up bedside. He came to check in on me and to bring me a bag full of goodies for when I was back to training again. He also let me know that I have an open invite to race in his races next year as well, especially the one that I had fallen in.

At this point, after all of these visitors, I couldn't believe how many people had taken the time to reach out and check in on me. I felt so loved and blessed that I knew so many wonderful people. Then came the biggest surprise. I was laying in bed and in walks a young guy, maybe around 30 years old, athletic looking, but I don't know who he is. He walks up to my bed and says "Do you remember me?" I took a good look at him and let him know that I had no idea who he was. So he then explained, "I saw you when you fell and no one stopped to help you. So I stopped and sat with you until the ambulance came. I had no idea who you were, but I just wanted someone to be there for you." He then explained that when he found me, I was unconscious, but at some point had opened my eyes. I had blood coming out of my mouth (I bit the inside of my lip when I fell) and coming out of my ear. (not sure what that was from, but it might have been a drip from my mouth) When he found me he called the race director, his coach, from the police officers phone to try and figure out who I was, since I didn't have id, and then after I was picked up by the EMT's he went back and packed up my belongings for me.

After he told me all of this, I couldn't believe it. My first question, of course was, "How did you end up doing in the race?" to which he laughed and said, "After I helped you I decided to not finish". He then walked over to my bedside table and gave me roses! I was blown away, I couldn't believe it. It was like I had an angel watching me that day! This guy was amazing and I have never been so thankful that someone was there for me. It confirms for me, that there are great people out there in the world. And if karma exists, this guys got a lot coming to him!

On top of the visitors listed above, many of my friends came to see me or sent me lovely gifts of flowers and cookies. I have never been so filled with love from all of the people around me. Since I have been home, all of the love and attention has continued and I can say now, that I have some of the best friends that one can have in life and I am grateful for all things in life. Being home and not being able to do anything other than sit on the couch is hard, but it has been made easier by those who love me and for them I am very thankful.

So to all of you that read my blog thank you, and for those who don't, I will be sure to give extra hugs to them when I see them next.

I hope everyone had a great weekend of racing, my time on the couch was painful, but fun as well!


  1. Jess, I'm so thankful you are alive. Just read your post to my bf, and I was crying. So glad you are okay. Xoxo

  2. Thanks Kim! I am too! :-) This has really put life into perspective for me, that is for sure.