Monday, December 20, 2010

Best Vacation Ever

So I have been totally MIA for the past week but with good reason. Last Saturday we packed up and headed to Sedona, Arizona for the week. The plan was the hike as much as possible and relax and boy did this vacation deliver. Sedona was unbelievably gorgeous and we arrived right in time for some winter temperature highs. The first 4 days were 80 degrees and sunny and we spent our time, hiking different trails in Sedona and then taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon and hiking the South Kaibab trail on the Southern Rim. And let me tell you that was the most amazing hike I have ever done in my life. We hiked about 2.5 miles down into the canyon and then had to hike our way back out. It was crazy!

We also took in some tourist attractions while in Sedona. We went on a Pink Jeep tour of the canyons in Sedona, which consisted of a ton of off roading and laughing while we bounced around in the back of the jeep. We also decided to be brave and take a helicopter ride. Now this was a first for me, but we figured, if we were here, we should try it. And now I have officially decided that I will now only travel via helicopter everywhere I go. It was such a smooth flight and I seriously felt like I was in a video game.

Because my coached training still hadn't started, I didn't have any prescribed workouts so I did my own. Every day I could I ran about 5 miles on the treadmill. And the altitude killed me! I would get off the treadmill completely beat after 5 miles, red faced and out of breath. But I figured it would make the kick off of my training this week a little bit easier.

The best part of the vacation happened on Thursday night. I got completely blindsided by Nick when I came out of the bathroom to get ready for bed and he had a beautiful diamond ring in his hand. I stood there completely shocked with my mouth open until he got down on one knee and then it all registered. I was getting engaged!After that I don't think I slept for more than 2 hours at a time because I just had to wake up and look at my ring every few minutes!

So 2011 is going to bring a lot of good things! I plan to race as hard as I can, and plan my September wedding in the process of all of it! Now I just have to go and rearrange my racing schedule, so I can fit my wedding into the plan!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a way to end such a great vacation. The next time you do a Grand Canyon hiking trip you should do the rim to rim hike. Since you're very athletic it would be great for you, I did it with Just Roughin It and had an amazing experience. You should go back to Sedona and or the Grand Canyon for your year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I will have to look into the group you used, it sounds like something we would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete