Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Shin Splints

Ok who has the cure? I woke up this morning with major shin splints, which is not a common feeling for me. I got in some ZR work on the bike and now they seem to be worse. I was supposed to do a 30 min ZR/Z1 T run but I am not sure my legs can handle it. And I am even more unsure as to where these have come from. I have made sure to get in some non-treadmill runs prior to my race to avoid this issue and I didn't feel them yesterday but today my shins are screaming. So come on, tell me how to get rid of them, because I have to teach spin for the next two nights, so this is something I am not in the mood to deal with.

The good thing is, other than my shin splints I am not really sore at all from my race. Time to disect this fact....Now what does that mean? Did I not work hard enough? Or does it really not mean anything? For some reason I associate the crippling soreness and the need to use the handicap stall in public restrooms feeling with racing hard. But maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am just getting into better shape so recovery is not as challenging? I am sure that has something to do with it. Which leads me to believe my shins are not in good shape, hence the pain today. Can shins be in bad shape? Who knows!

Oh well, thankfully with all of the spinning that I have in store, outside of this looming 30 min run I really only have to swim for the next 2 days. So hopefully by the time I get back on the bike on Thursday, the pain will have gone away. Until then I am going to make sure to get in a lot of time on the couch with my feet up. And on that note, it's time to get back to the couch!


2 comments:

  1. That's crazy that even biking hurt them! I know I used to get them because I was pounding too hard with my feet when I ran--I lightened up and I never get them now. I think you can strengthen them by picking up a washcloth with your toes and moving it to the right or left, then dropping it and picking it up again. I also used to freeze dixie cups full of water and then peel off the edge for easy icing! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try the washcloth excercise. Should provide some entertainment! Thanks for the insight!

      Delete