Monday, October 18, 2010

Holy Crap I am Sore!

So as I mentioned in my last post, this weekend we decided to take on a more strenuous hike to see how my body will react, and man do I HURT! So we headed up to Breakneck Ridge early Saturday morning to try out the 5.5 mile hike that was recommended to us. When we got close, we picked up a a trail map, parked the car and then fun began. We had heard already that the first 1.5 miles were the hardest and were basically straight up hill with 1 small descent. And this description was no joke! It was literally 1.5 miles of rock climbing with some rocks so big, Nick had to hoist me up over them because I was too short. We got halfway to the top and stopped to have a powerbar and take some pictures, we thought the worst of it had to be over and then we saw the second half of the climb. I am telling you by the time we got all the way to the top of the big climb, my legs were shaking and already getting sore.

It was once we hit this section that things got even more interesting. We stopped for a second to take in the view and something comes running at us out of the woods. The first thing I think is, "WOLF!", and I was close, but a little off. All of a sudden this little husky is sitting at our feet, looking up at us like we knew him. We realized that this dog was somehow lost in the woods. He had a collar with phone numbers on it, so we called the numbers, but couldn't reach anyone. So we did what any dog lover would do. We used my scarf as a leash and the three of us continued on our hike.

From then on the hike was pretty easy, well compared to the first part at least. We hiked for about 4 more hours and by the time we got back, we were beat! We walked our way back to the car and as soon as we go there, Koda, our hiking buddy dropped down to the ground next to the car and went to sleep. We found out later that Koda had just done the 5.5 mile loop twice! The poor dog was pooped!

Once in the car we made the decision to just bring the dog home with us. There was no way that I was going to let him go to a pound and wait for his owners. Thankfully within 5 minutes of driving the owner called me and we had a nice reunion a few minutes later. Although, not gonna lie, I was starting to like the little guy!

The rest of the weekend was full of couch time and watching football. I woke up on Sunday and everything hurt! Literally everything! Today I went in and taught my early class for the first time in 2 months and thankfully that has helped to loosen me up a bit.

Tomorrow will be my first day back in the pool. I am wondering how long it takes to lose your swim fitness and I think I will find out exactly how long tomorrow! I hope it isn't as bad as running but we shall see. My goal is to also get in one run outside this week. It is getting cold, but I need to test my balance and ability to run outside.

Other than that, it is life back to somewhat normal! MRI results to follow tomorrow along with some pics from the hike tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment