Thursday, March 17, 2011

Underestimating My Fig Newton Intake By Around 10 Newtons

I know after reading the title you are probably a bit confused, so first let me fill you in on a little diet technique I was given by my dietitian. When going out for a work out in the morning (now this depends on the length of the workout) a good way to fuel is by eating two Fig Newtons. Now I have always been a fan of the Newton, so when I heard this I was pretty excited.

So today I got up at 5:45am for my 1:15 hill bounding session. I figured I could get in my run, then do my ride and be set and ready to go. Well first things first, with Daylight Savings the sun rises later now. Ok, ok, I know I should have been able to figure this one out on my own, but as I sat in my living room at 6am fully dressed and totally baffled, I needed Nick's help on this amazing scientific discovery. (Sometimes I wonder what he thinks when these little episodes occur. I am thinking he just thinks I am too cute, or at least that is what I keep telling myself!)

So there I was with an extra 45 min on my hands. So I decided to make some muffins so I would have something to eat when I got back before my ride. Then it was out for some hill bounding. Now, as I have mentioned before hill bounding can look a little strange so it is best done at a time when the least amount of people are out and about! This morning was perfect. I actually do the bounding on the Steven's campus and lord knows, no college kid is up and moving at 7am, so bounding I went in total secrecy. After a 25 Z1 warm up I hit the hill for 5 sets of bounding, split up with 1set of sprints. Then it was back home for the remaining 25 min Z1 cool down. By the cool down, I was shot. I mean tripping over the sidewalk, shuffling instead of running shot.

Not only was I tired, but those two Newtons, just weren't cutting it. Two sets of bounding in I was hungry. I mean the bounding has a nice effect of making me want to vomit, but even if I could have nothing would have come up! I think I used up my newtons in the first 25 minutes just to get to the hill. So now I know, hill bounding needs more than 2 Newtons.

I finally made it home and joyfully ate my muffin and pounded some gatorade. Then it was onto the bike for a tempo ride. It was 20 min in Z1 then 2 x (10 min Z2, 5 min Z1/ZR) followed by another 20 min Z1/ZR cool down. And now I am tired! But not too tired because I still have to teach a spin class tonight! Oh well, onward and upward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment